Bratislava (previously Pozsony) was the Kingdom of Hungary’s coronation city from 1563 to 1830. The last ruler to complete this solemn ceremony here on 28 September 191 years ago was Ferdinand V – nicknamed Dobrotivý. „At dusk the procession moved from Primate’s Palace to St. Martin’s Cathedral. The emperor and empress sat on thrones to the left of the altar, and the prince in the centre.
The coronation ceremony was led by Cardinal Alexander Rudnay, who was one of the few members of the high ecclesiastical hierarchy of aristocratic origin to declare his Slovak nationality. Streets were festively lit and full of people until late in the evening. The huge crowd included leading monarchy nobility: Count Zichy, Nádasda, Prince Esterházy, etc.” Ferdinand V was gifted 50 thousand ducats from the estates, which he donated to charity and expanding the military academy.
Original source in Slovak language: bratislavskenoviny