St. Martin's Cathedral crypts were impacted by legislation passed by Maria Theresa mid-18th century that restricted burials here. The largest part - the Archbishop's crypt - leads from the Chapel of St. Anne to below the cathedral with four corridors measuring almost 60 metres under the Chapel of St. Ján Almužník and is the only one of three open to the public. Imrich Eszterházy (1664 – 1745), who crowned Maria Theresa as Queen of Hungary on June 25, 1741, also rests in the archbishop's tomb, under the chapel dedicated to his favourite saint.
The crypts contain dozens of graves of high church dignitaries, provosts, canons, and rich townspeople and cathedral sponsors. Notable names include Cardinal Peter Pázmány (1570 – 1637) who for many spearheaded the area’s spiritual and social life, as well as the author of the first novel written in Slovak, Jozef Ignác Bajza (1755 – 1836), who was a canon of the Bratislava collegiate chapter.
Visiting the crypt is free, but buy a ticket (Martineum extension on Rudnay nam, info centre) to access other areas of the cathedral such as the choir and treasury to see 570 years‘ of treasures.