Bratislava ’s access points used to be inscribed City of Peace. But why?

Mainly because three major peace treaties were signed in the city. The first on July 2, 1271 between Hungarian King Stephen V and Czech King Přemysl Otakar II – Czech troops had conquered Bratislava, Nitra, Trnava and part of Považia. So the Hungarian ruler surrendered Styria, Kransko and Carinthia in exchange for the Czech king leaving the occupied territories.

The second peace treaty was signed on December 30, 1626 during the Bethlen estate uprising from Transylvania.

The third was signed on December 26, 1805 in the Hall of Mirrors at the Primate Palace. It was shortly after the bloody battle of three emperors near Slavkov in Moravia in which 25,000 soldiers died on one day. Napoleon’s army then defeated the Austrian and Russian armies. This peace treaty’s signing was so symbolic that one of the twelve streets that lead to Paris’s Arc de Triomphe is called Rue de Presbourg, with an accompanying café of the same name.

Original source in Slovak language: www.bratislavskenoviny.sk