One of Bratislava’s oldest and most prized National Cultural Monuments – the Water Tower – is undergoing sensitive restoration. This oldest building in this area is dated to the 2nd to 11th centuries AD. The tower served an important strategic and defensive function for almost 400 years until the 17th century.

“The restoration of the Water Tower will fully respect its high historical value. As the result will be its revitalization, integration into public space, and additional municipal cultural institutions.” said Zoltán Müller, Chairman of the Board of Vydrica Development. “The public space around the Water Tower will be the crossroads of the emerging Vydrice extended promenade. From the historic city centre to the Danube embankment,” said Bratislava spokeswoman Katarína Rajčanová.

In coming days, the investor plans to launch an architectural competition for the Water Tower’s future design. The tender assignment and conditions have already been consulted with the Municipal Metropolitan Institute of Bratislava, the Municipal Institute for the Protection of Monuments in Bratislava, and also in cooperation with the Regional Monuments Office and Bratislava Old Town.

Slovak legionaries in the Czech-Slovak legions (1914 – 1920) will be commemorated by Matica Slovenská (MS). With the unveiling of a memorial plaque on the former Legiobanka building (now Eximbank) on Bratislava’s Grösslingova Street.

“Slovak legionnaires deserve be more appreciated by society because they made a major contribution to new Slovak national and democratic life. After the Austro-Hungarian monarchy dissolved. Without these legions, Slovak and Czech politicians in the first foreign resistance of 1914-1918 would have found it difficult to persuade the Treaty Powers to support the founding of the first Czechoslovakia.

We owe the establishment of this large foreign resistance army. Primarily to the Minister and General Milan Rastislav Štefánik,” said MS chairman Marián Gešper. “Slovak legionnaires included Slovak nationals and MS figures such as Janko Jesenský, Jozef Gregor Tajovský, Vladimír Daxner. And the generals Rudolf Viest and Jozef Martin Kristin – father of the actress Eva Kristinová,” he added.

The Slovak National Museum (SNM) has unveiled the new Romans and Slovakia exhibition. Which can be seen until June 30, 2022 at the Knights’ Hall in Bratislava Castle.

Visitors can see over 240 archaeological-historical items about Slovakia in the 1st to 4th centuries. I.e. when it was near and marginally part of the Roman Empire. Included are coins and rare finds from the Princely Tombs 5 and 6 of Zohor. Inspiring showcases symbolize the movement of Romans through territories and their arrival mid-Danube.

“Exhibition creators were inspired by Romans‘ progression along the Danube, i.e. that all roads lead to Rome,” added SNM exhibition commissioner Juraj Kucharík. The exhibition marks the 2000th anniversary of the Kingdom of Vanni, and the successful nomination of Slovak sites to the UNESCO Danube Limes (Western Segment) list.

New Nivy bus station on Mlynské Nivy Street in Bratislava is nearing completion. Airport-style building will have 36 platforms, seven access points, and 86 barrier-free bus stops. The bus station will be on the first underground floor, and will also have retail outlets, pharmacies, and fast food. With nine LCD TV panels, a large LED information wall, and several self-service touch kiosks the public has an excellent overview of arrival/departure of buses.

The project combines international bus terminal, retail, fresh market, and high-rise office building. While the green roof has a jogging track, exercise and picnic areas, community garden, and children’s playgrounds. Developer HB Reavis has scheduled the opening for the end of October 2021.

Original source in Slovak language: bratislavskenoviny

The 18-month restoration of Michalska Brana (Tower) has begun, and will be followed by a permanent exhibition. The tower, stone-sculptural and decorative features, and popular look-out are to be reconstructed. Including the rooftop statue of St. Michael the Archangel from the mid-18th century.
One bell will be restored, while the other – damaged by a World War II fire – will be recast. The clock faces and lead facade above the gate will also be given a makeover. The current windows will be replaced by replicas of the original Baroque windows. And also accompanied by the restoration of facades, and interior spaces – including plaster and flooring.
The renovation of Michalská Tower and the Museum of Weapons should cost EUR 1.6 million. And co-financed from a Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic grant. The tower is the best-preserved part of the original city fortifications. And it is one of Bratislava City Museum’s three most visited destinations.

Original source in Slovak language: bratislavskenoviny

Bratislava Castle went up in flames during the evening. Yet fortunately only as a video projection onto the building’s facade. To commemorate the 210th anniversary of the most tragic event in the castle’s thousand-years. On May 28, 1811 a massive fire – caused by resident soldiers’ carelessness. Led to the Winter Riding Hall, palace, and 70 houses in the castle grounds burning down. Nine people died, several went missing, and more than 100 families lost their homes. The monarchy subsequently lost interest in the gutted castle and removed all remaining items. And leaving the building to fall into disrepair and ruin.  Visitors can see a simulation of the fire and the castle’s decline prior to its first major reconstruction in 1968.

Original source in Slovak language: bratislavskenoviny

When the Danube was the Roman Empire’s northern border (1st to 4th century), Bratislava was called Anductium. Although the oldest preserved written record (907) cites the battle of Preslavvaspurce (Preslav was the third son of King Svätopluk). Germans referred to it as Pressburg, the Slovaks as Prešporok. And the Hungarians as Pozsony based on a translation of Božoň, who was lord of Bratislava Castle 1052 – 1099. Greeks used Istropolis, i.e. town on the Danube.

The current name was likely first used by the Štúr family in the 19th century, as they wanted to use Slovak nominations. So after a trip  to Devín Velislav, Ľudovít Štúr combined the words brother and glory to arrive at Bratislava. Calls to rename the city ‘Wilson’ after the First World War were resisted, so the city has been officially known as Bratislava since 1919.

Original source in Slovak language: bratislavskenoviny

The Danube’s banks in Bratislava were connected by bridges over the centuries. The first pontoon bridge was built around 1450 and lasted three centuries. One pendulum (compass-like) bridge was built for Bratislava in 1770 by inventor Wolfgang Kempelen. Bridges were built for coronational events. With the only bridge outlasting a coronation being the 1825 boat bridge located in today’s Ľudovít Štúr Square. It comprised 23 boats with a road surface of wide flat slabs. The boats could be disconnected to allow the passage of boats along the river, and were totally removed in winter to prevent ice damage.

This bridge was replaced by a railway bridge in 1890-1891 named after Austrian emperor. King Francis Joseph I of Hungary, who attended the ribbon cutting event. This first solid bridge had to last Petržalka exactly eighty years.

Original source in Slovak language: www.bratislavskenoviny.sk

Restoration work on an important Gothic monument in Janko Kral Park, Petržalka, was carried out from September to December 2020. “The basic criteria for the restoration was to preserve the original, correct damage and inappropriate modifications. And to complete missing parts and details,” said Bratislava spokeswoman Katarína Rajčanová. Scaffolding and fencing has been removed to enable views of the restored treasure – a national cultural monument.

Originally a tower from a 15th century Franciscan church, it was removed due to damage during the 1897 earthquake. And replaced with a copy by architect Schulek. The original tower in an orchard as a garden pavilion.

Original source in Slovak language: www.bratislavskenoviny.sk

The Church of the Holy Trinity ’s post-reconstruction gleaming new white façade has surprised onlookers – yet research reveals that this had been the original colour of Saint John of Matha Church.

The Church of the Holy Trinity (or simply the Trinity) is a unique city landmark – built by the Trinitarian trinity brothers in 1717, based on the Austrian Baroque architect Johan Lukas von Hildebrandt’s design for the Church of St. Peter in Vienna. Consecrated in 1725, interior adornments continued for a further seven years.

The Trinitarians were a religious order that ransomed Christians from Turkish captivity and were brought to Pressburg (Bratislava) by Leopold Kollonich – the Archbishop of Esztergom. The monastery was built with the help of palatine Count Mikuláš Pálffy and county judge Count Štefan Koháry. Consecrated in 1723, it was further embellished with artistic paintings by Unterhuber, Palko and Ján de Matta. Between 1690 and 1730, Trinitarians redeemed 2,043 Christians from Turkish slavery. By order of Emperor Joseph II, their monastery was closed and turned into a military hospital in 1785.

Having been a yellow-orange colour for many years, the church’s new white paint scheme is a real surprise for citizens.

Original source in Slovak language: www.bratislavskenoviny.sk